Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Hampton native serves with Navy tactical operations squadron

By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Sean Furey, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Chief Petty Officer Donovan Brown, a native of Hampton, Virginia, is one of the sailors supporting Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Force (MPFR) missions at Tactical Operations Control Squadron (TOCRON-11).
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Jeffrey Militzer


Brown graduated from Bethel High School in 2007.

“Growing up, my parents always taught me to just be myself,” Brown said. “You may be a person who sticks out based on what you do or don’t do, but always remember to be who you are. You have to stand out for what you believe in even if it’s not the most popular opinion. People will like you or they won’t, and that has helped shape my military career and life in general. I have been in some bad situations, and thinking back on my principles, I was able to not get out of character and remember what I was taught as a kid, and it has taken me far.”

Brown joined the Navy 15 years ago.

“I joined the Navy for a few reasons,” Brown said. “My grandfather was a Marine, and he sat me down one day and talked to me about what the military could offer me. He thought it would benefit me to go, so I decided to give it a shot. I was working at IHOP at the time, and I wasn’t going anywhere; there were no benefits or pay raises. I knew I would take a pay cut initially joining the Navy, but it would be worth it in the long run. It would give me structure, discipline and responsibility.”

TOCRON-11 serves as the information center for MPFR missions. Sailors serving at the command are tasked with coordinating, directing and commanding global anti-submarine warfare, intelligence and maritime surveillance operations. The command was established in 2020, and today, more than 150 sailors serve at the specialized squadron.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Brown has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of meeting my wife and raising a family,” Brown said. “Between my wife and me, we have four kids; all of them have been a joy. My wife and I met at a BBQ, and if I hadn’t joined the Navy, I wouldn’t have met her. We are from totally different areas of the country. Another milestone I am proud of is making the rank of chief petty officer. That was one of my retirement goals when I joined bootcamp; I wanted to retire as senior chief, and I am only one step away from that now. One of my newest accomplishments is enrolling back in school. I never really saw myself as a school person, but my wife pushed me to get back in, and it has given me a refreshed look at school. I am currently going to American Military University for an associate degree in accounting,”

Brown serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means sacrifice,” Brown said. “Sacrifice for my family and the people I work next to, because it’s not just money; it’s my time and everything that comes along with that. The biggest thing I look forward to when I retire is getting that time back with my family that I wasn’t able to spend with them during my time in the Navy.”

Brown is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my mom, Pamela, my father, Michael, my wife, Keshawna, and my grandfather, Tom,” Brown said. “I want to thank them all for pushing me to see something I didn’t see in myself. They knew I had more in me than I knew that I had in myself.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/